Monday 8 February 2010

Oh the weather outside...

...was really pretty miserable, especially as it was Monday morning and I still ached from playing 5 a side on Friday night (special thanks to EDF Energy for cutting off power to the indoor cricket stadium which meant we had no choice but to play footy for 80 mins outside instead - man, do I ache.)

Not a lot doing this morning other than I hadn't seen a forecast, so when it started raining and sleeting in Ashbocking I was a bit puzzled.  Every tenth rain drop seemed to be a big fat snowflake.  But unlike the Big Freeze (sorry) none of this lot settled.

By the time I got to the fen I was feeling about as enthusiastic for a cold wet walk as I was at the prospect of getting out of bed this morning: not a lot.  I wrapped the camera in the detachable hood from my coat with a bungee - manufacturer's recommended method of course - and set off.  Push knee back, throw foot forward, push other knee back, throw other foot forwards.  Not fun.

I wasn't the only one not enjoying the wonderful British weather.  The black sheep in the field by the path out to the far end of the reserve just stood there, taking it, but really looking like they'd rather be elsewhere.  I put a kestrel up and he seemed really miffed that he'd had to leave his warm perch high up in the shelter of a tree.

At the far end I stopped as always on otter bridge (I call it that in hope rather than expectation) and came across this mute swan.


Yes, even the swans were filthy.  He was just paddling about in the ditch that is the River Waveney at this point, all alone.  I stopped and unwrapped the camera to get in position, he turned and paddled towards me.  I could have sworn we exchanged the same thought: 'what are we doing here'.  The water dripping off his beak matched the sleet dripping off the end of my nose.  Still I put the picture in if for no other reason to show what impressive birds swans are, even when dirty.  If only it had been a Bewick's....

No comments: